logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

Sunday 17 February 2013

Butterfly Farm KL, Kuala Lumpur



Whilst at Malaysia, a tour guide recommended the Kuala Lumpur Butterfly farm. It's a very humid rainforestesque sort of area in which more than 6000 butterflies from 120 species inhabit.


Around 15 minutes drive from Kuala Lumpur city centre, it's a worthwhile different trip for any tourist willing to venture out from the usual wake up, shop, eat, shop more, eat, sleep routine. Entrance is 18 Malaysia Rigit which is roughly 5.5 Aud per adult.


This was a very close and personal experience. Not emotional haha, but they really aren't that scared of you.


There's a butterfly and there's a butterfly and THERE'S A BUTTERFLY.  You really have to avoid the tendency to swat anything little that moves near you lest you whack the life out of one. 



The butterflies have a tendency to get jittery when you're near them which necessitates a quick camera figure and an either quicker shutter speed. Both of which I don't have. Coupled with a lack of patience, I'm surprised anything ended up visible.



The butterflies have made it their home here, from feeding to forming chrysalides. It was odd that I didn't spot even one caterpillar. 


Some of them can be quite brave. I suffered butterfly envy as a butterfly just so happened to land on a nearby girl's hand. 



She kindly offered to 'lend' the butterfly onto my hand but as soon as I touched it, it dropped to the ground. Fear me. I guess I have the touch of death.



I was sad. That was until one odd butterfly landed decided to land on mine. I admit, I went a little crazy whilst in there. Many a time I spent talking to the butterfly on my hand trying to coax them to stay still or open it's wings. "Cmon, cmon, you're beautiful". 



It must have been the heat getting to me but it didn't even seem to work. 





Besides butterflies, within the area are numerous other species of frogs, snakes, fishes and turtles.



When you're done with the enclosure, further inside are glass tanks full of live scorpions, beetles and lizards. They initially appear fake because of their seemingly artificial shiny shells, that is until they slowly start moving.


View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment


No, we aren't the most amazing gastronomes or chefs. Heck, half our team doesn't even know how to cook... well. However, what we really love is eating. And lots of it. We enjoy that occasional freebie, filling up that craving for a midnight snack and finding a 20 in our pockets that we thought we never had, and using that as an excuse to go out eating. As we battle the ongoing war on uni student poverty, we'll bring you the most swoon worthy recounts of our latest foodie adventures.


 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...